Fun at the Farmers Market!
Within the past couple of years, Farmers Markets have continued to gain popularity all over the country. Despite the majority of the year being a bit too frosty for outdoor shopping in WNY, the warmer weather welcomes all of the local goods and produce farmers and craftsman in the area have to offer.
What are some of the benefits of buying from Farmers Markets? Well I’m glad you asked! Here are a few reasons why Farmer’s Markets are the way to go when it comes to your summertime shopping:
1. Fresher Produce: The fruits and vegetables you find at Farmers Markets are grown and harvested locally, which means that they are fresher than those you typically find in grocery stores.
2. More Delicious Produce! It’s no secret that there are specific growing seasons for different fruits and vegetables. When fruits and vegetables are in season it means that they are grown and harvested when conditions are the absolute best. You can eat fruits and vegetables when they are not in season, but they are not going to be as fresh or as delicious as they are when in season, however.
Some Fruits and Veggies that are in season right now include:
- Asparagus - Rhubarb
- Beets - Spinach
- Broccoli - Summer Squash
- Cabbage - Swiss Chard
- Lettuce - Zucchini
- Peas - Sweet Cherries
- Radishes -Strawberries
3. Support Your Local Economy: Because all of the products are local, buying from Farmers Markets mean you’re buying from those in your community. Small farmers have a hard time competing with big commercial farmers that dominant the market. By supporting these local farmers, you’re giving them the business they need to keep their farms running and producing the delicious products you enjoy!
4. You Know EXACTLY where you’re Food is coming From: It’s important to know where and how the food you’re consuming is produced. Farmers Markets give you an opportunity to chat and learn more about the growing and harvesting procedures from those you are buying from. I know it’s cliché, but you really are what you eat, and it’s important to understand exactly what you are putting into your body.
5. You Can make it A Fun Family Trip: Farmers Markets are a great way to bring families and communities together. Make your Farmers Market visit a mini day trip and have each member of your family pick out ingredients for lunch or dinner later that day. Try new things together and engage with your community members! Shoppers, along with the vendors, typically have great ideas on how to use the products you’re buying.
Here is a list of Local Farmers Markets in the Niagara Region:
Barker’s Farmer Market Park Place Market
1449 Quaker Road 630 Main Street
Barker, NY 14012 Niagara Falls, NY 14303
Lockport Community Farmer Market North Tonawanda City Market
57 Canal Street Corner of Payne Ave. & Robinson St.
Lockport, NY 14094 North Tonawanda, NY 14120
Middleport Community Farmers’ Market Niagara Falls City Market
79 Telegraph Road Market Square( 15th St. & Pine Ave.)
Middleport, NY 14105 Niagara Falls, NY 14301
Wheatfield Farmers Market Newfane Farmers’ Market
2800 Church Road 2699 Main Street
Wheatfield, NY 14120 Newfane, NY 14108
For more Farmers Markets in the WNY area, check out http://www.bestofwny.com/farmers_market/
Also, check out our Facebook page for more recipe ideas for your fresh market finds!